Thursday, May 07, 2009

they always get you on the s&h....

So I have been making plans and arrangements to redecorate my office.

It is getting painted tomorrow. 

A new shelving unit is being made by the amazing Mr. Mark at church. 

I bought some cool antique chairs

The process will probably take a month or so, but I am not letting that discourage me. 

(When everything is finally finished, I will post before & after pictures.)

I still need to buy a couple of lamps, the wall shelving, artwork/pictures for the wall, and a desk.

Oh the desk.....
Let me just tell you about this desk. For a couple of weeks, I have been browsing the internet for the perfect white desk for my office. I want simple. I want clean lines. I want white. I want modern. I want IKEA. And I had found the perfect desk. 

So I thought.


This desk. This is a picture that I found online. The better picture is here. (click on the "function & style" tab, select the top right picture.)  And the price is right too! Just $130. Not too bad... I mean... comparatively speaking.

This morning I got the go-ahead to order the desk. I spent an hour trying to decide if it really was the desk that I wanted to order. I decided it was. I get on IKEA.com, put it in my cart, and then proceed to checkout. I fill in my billing & shipping information, make sure everything is correct, and then I click continue.

And then I see it. 

The shipping & handling cost.

Remember how I said the desk was $130?    Well, lets just say my total AFTER s&h was going to be $254.60

Yes. Almost DOUBLE the amount! $5.40 less than double, to be exact. 

WHAT THE HECK?!?! After all that work.... 

Back to the drawing board. This really might take all summer...






13 comments:

Sunny said...

Boo! How close is an Ikea store to us? It might be worth the drive if there is one nearby. Just a thought!

Annie said...

Friend, what you need to do is plan a little road trip to the closest Ikea store (in Atlanta). That's what I would do! If that's the desk, that's the desk. Just drive somewhere and pick it up!

As far as artwork... Etsy all the way! That's what I'm doing for our possible townhome... (See my own post later today!)

katie said...

I know they're awful about that! That's why we drove to get our furniture... hey... I'll meet you in Atlanta one Saturday! That would be so much fun!

jenna said...

Oh my word!!! I JUST REALIZED THAT I AM GOING TO ATLANTA NEXT WEEK!!!!

Wow. Way too much excitement there.

I am going with my family to Atlanta to bring Karissa to the airport. (She is heading to Tanzania for 6 weeks. I am sure there will be a blog post to come.) IKEA is practically on our way home from the airport! YES! If we can figure out how to fit it in the car, and if Mom can convince Dad to make the quick detour, we might just be set!!! There's still hope!!!!!

kwərk said...

Well, just be careful if you are going to the IKEA store...it's like a panic attack waiting to pounce in one building.

I'm the same way when I know exactly what I'm looking for, unless something else completely wows me I just can't be swayed.

Good luck! ;)

Carie said...

You crack me up. I wish I could have seen your face when you realized you were going to Atlanta!

Unknown said...

That is a lot for S&H

Jessica said...

What color are you painting the walls?

jenna said...

The walls are being painted "super white" as we speak! :) I am at the office now, and even with just the 1st coat, the room already looks so much brighter! (Which is what I am going for because it is a small room with no windows and it was a dark grayish blue color.)

Courtney Garland said...

Hey Jenna! I just found your blog! New office sounds like fun. I don't know if Ikea is one of their retailers but you might want to check out www.freeshipping.com. Good luck!

- Courtney in Memphis

H Vest said...

How exciting about your office Jenna! It sounds like a fun summer project. I love the desk too - I hope you can get it in Atlanta!

jenna said...

Hey Courtney! I'm so glad you found my blog! Welcome. :)

And thanks Hannah! The chances of getting the desk are looking good! I sure hope it works out, cause I'm kinda counting on it!

Jessica said...

happy ikea day! i think i saw that you were going today over on annie's blog.