Monday, January 23, 2006

Goals vs. Flexibility

"What do you want to do when you graduate?" ~a large # of people
"I am not really sure, but I'm not worried. I know God will provide me opportunities. He has so far, and He will. I'll just be flexible... I figure, really, that's the best way to do it- just have faith." ~me

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I was wrong. Wrong to let that be my blanket statement...a security blanket.. yeah, that is not faith.

I need to set goals. Strive for them. Because flexibility can only come when there is a plan to modify. As of now. I haven't had a plan. And that is not good.

Working on that....

2 comments:

jenna said...

I just re-read what I wrote, and I confused myself. It sounds like I am trying to take everything into my own hands and eliminate faith and trust all together. That is not what I think. Just wanted to clear that up.

Faith is a huge part in it all. But I don't think that goals replace faith. Maybe it takes more faith to set goals for yourself? It takes more faith to stand up and walk towards something than it does to sit there and wait for it to approach you.

What is my faith in? What should I have faith in? The answer to that question is obvious, or is it? Is there more to faith than the textbook answer? Interesting questions to think about.

Jason said...

Nothing wrong with setting goals for yourself and your life. I guess the better way to put it is there's nothing wrong with setting goals that are an extension of your faith. I think our faith has to be what propels us to act for God's purposes in the world. To that end, I let my faith determine my goals. We have to remember to always set faith-full goals for ourselves.